Friday, December 11, 2009

THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN (1977)

I remember, when I was a kid, seeing the VHS case for this at the Hastings my family used to rent from and it scared the shit out of me. I have no idea why, but that cover and the title THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN was just horrifying. I mean shit if this guy was so scary that the entire town was scared of 'em, then there ain't a damned thing that a little kid like me can do about it! Turns out my fears were for nothing, cause this movie can barely even be categorized horror. Personally, I would say it's more of a crime thriller.

One quite evening in a small Texas town a dude with a sack over his head attacks two teenagers at a local makeout spot: he beats the shit out of both.  He also leaves a bunch of bite marks on the female. The local cops are dumbfounded, so they call in some big guns from the Texas Rangers. The attacks continue and it turns out the Rangers are about as useless as the local police. Eventually the guy kills five folks then disappears. Yawn.

In the right hands that story could be made into something suspenseful and engaging, but sadly it appears that everybody involved with this turkey had no clue as how to make a good movie. The weirdest thing was how it kept changing the tone of the movie from scene to scene. In one scene it's trying to be serious and then 15 seconds later it's got some kind of Dukes of Hazzard hijinks going on including a cop car flying in slow motion into a pond! I'm not making that up.

Skip it. The acting is lame and the script is even lamer. Also all of the night scenes were so dark I could barely even tell what was going on.