Saturday, March 17, 2012

CLUE (1985)

A group of strangers are summoned to a remote mansion for a dinner party. Each is directed to use an alias. After dinner it's revealed that each person is secretly being blackmailed and the blackmailer is no other than that dude over in the corner, Mr. Body. The lights go out and when they come back on Mr. Body is dead. Who could the murderer be? There's an entire room full of suspects.

As a mystery CLUE is weak. As a comedy it's OK at best. I never laughed or even smiled once, but I was mildly entertained. Then I look Amazon and I was shocked...shocked to see that with 751 reviews CLUE has 4.5 out of 5 stars!!! What the hell? Did I miss something completely? I admit there were a few cleverly written lines, but overall it was pretty mediocre. I can see 3 stars maybe, but 5 stars is completely insane. Five stars is what you give UGETSU or BACK TO THE FUTURE, not CLUE.

Watch if you want, I don't care, but in the remainder of my life I will probably watch the similarly themed THE PRIVATE EYES a dozen more times, but I will never revisit CLUE. If I do it'll just be to scope out that maid's breathtaking cleavage.