Wednesday, May 5, 2010

ROAD GAMES (1981)

REAR WINDOW on a highway in Australia. That's an awesome idea or so you would hope. In reality this movie is about as much fun as watching an episode of "Knight Rider" on mushrooms. Wait a minute, that actually sounds fun, how about more like watching an episode of "Murder, She Wrote" on morphine? Truck driver Stacey Keach thinks he sees a guy who's driving a van do something suspicious, it can't be real right? Probably just all those news reports about a serial killer murdering hitchhikers are causing him imagine things. Or are they?

The idea is excellent, but the execution is disappointing. There was only one scene with an real suspense (the trailer scene), the rest of the time I was bored. Stacey Keach talks to himself non-stop the entire movie, mostly in poems, and it's annoying. Even more annoying though is Keach's behavior. He does tons of stuff that a normal person would never do. Also why does the "killer" fuck with Keach so much? You'd think he'd just drive off and that would be it, unless he's trying to pin the murders on Keach. I don't know. It doesn't make much sense. And the ending is way too predictable.

If you're a fan of REAR WINDOW it's worth watching this movie just to see it, but I wouldn't go out of my way or buy it or anything. If you need me I'll be in my room reading Emile Zola's "The Human Beast".