Tuesday, January 18, 2011

BATTLE ROYALE (2000)

I have zero idea why this movie has such a cult following. I saw it years ago and thought it was boring, so we watched it again last night and if it wasn't for all my farting, burping and tying a belt around my cat's stomach we would have been bored silly.

Forty-two 9th graders are taken by the military to a secluded island and forced to kill each other: each is given a weapon, a few supplies and told that in 3 days time there can only be one student left alive or the electronic collars around their necks will explode. That explanation takes 23 minutes. Finally the kids are out on their own and it's fairly entertaining except that there's a lot of CG blood, crappy special effects, horrible subtitles and a surprising lack of brutal ultrviolence.

Yes, I understand that underneath it all it's a metaphor for youths leaving school and entering the cut-throat corporate world, but I really don't care. I'm just a simple-minded moran who wants his violence movies to actually be violent! Is that too much to ask? Worth a watch just to see what all the hype is about, but I found the whole thing to be nap worthy. If you need me I'll be in my room reading Catching Fire.

Part 2