Sunday, October 17, 2010

5 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND (2007)

Hmm, I think I'm going to have to kill my cleaning woman cause it suddenly got really dusty in my living room towards the end of this movie. Did I say kill? I meant fire.

Told in three segments, 5CPS is the touching story of a young teenager, Takaki, who changes schools a lot. He falls in love with Akari and even though they try to continue their innocent relationship after he moves they eventually drift apart over time. During this period he moves even farther away to yet another school and here a young girl, Kanae, secretly falls in love with him. They become friends, but he always seems distant.

5 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND is an amazing film in every way. The story is mature, well told and touching; the music is perfect; the voice acting is emotional and the animation is beautiful! Not only is it jaw-dropping just to look at, but the cinematography so natural in it's movements that you forget at moments that you're even watching a goddamn cartoon. I was so impressed that I actually watched it twice back-to-back. Highly recommended for lovers of animation and/or romantic motherfuckers like myself.