Saturday, June 2, 2012

THE SKIN I LIVE IN (2011)

Before I even start I want to give Pedro Almodovar one of the highest compliments that I could give a filmmaker: THE SKIN I LIVE IN is the kind of cinema that Luis Bunuel would be making if he was still alive today.

To tell you what happens in this film would be highly unprofessional of me as a critic and an injustice to you as a viewer. I didn't do it with INSIDE and I won't do it here. I'll just say that Antonio Banderas is one of the greatest plastic surgeons in the world as well as secretly being crazier than a shithouse rat. He has a daughter that he loves very much and something very bad happens to her.

That's it. That's all I'm telling you. Just watch it. If you love films that push the envelope or films that have an wonderful story or films that are beautiful to look at or films...you know what? Just watch the fucking movie. It's pretty damn close to being a masterpiece (the ending holds it back) and my choice, as of right now, for the second best film of 2011, right behind MIDNIGHT IN PARIS.

Double-feature it with EYES WITHOUT A FACE. Oh yeah, don't watch the "Blood of the Beasts" extra on the EWAF Criterion DVD unless you have a stomach of steel.