Thursday, October 20, 2011

THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK (1997)

I saw this opening day at the theater and I was disappointed. Watching it again now 14 years later...I'm still disappointed. The original was magical and fresh and exciting. Part 2, eh, it's kinda lame. Even with a giant dinosaur running around tearing up San Diego it's still a yawner.

Four years after the original film the billionaire creator of the dinosaur island tells Jeff Goldblum that there's a second island full of dinosaurs and his girlfriend is already there! Wow. So against his will Goldblum goes to the island and his daughter stows away. Stuff happens (it's quite boring) and before you know it a T-Rex is running around San Diego.

I can't put my finger on it, but Part 2 bored the crap out of me. The story has too much going on, I hated Goldblum's daughter (she fucking uses gymnastics to kick as goddamn raptor!!!), a lot of the scenes are at night which annoyed me, it never explains who killed the boat crew and Sam Neill isn't in it. Fuck that shit. If you're going to do a JURASSIC PARK movie Dr. Alan Grant must be in it. Plain and simple.

Based solely on entertainment value it's passable. But compared to the original it's pretty much a big pile of shit. The raptors are still cool though.

Part 1 - Jurassic Park
Part 3 - Jurassic Park III
Part 4 - Jurassic World

Binoculars backwards.